At this point, there is a lack of steam. Todd reached out to several politically engaged/active people and the response was lukewarm. Victoria reached out to politically engaged/active people and the response was similar. After reaching out several times to each person, the people seemed too busy and couldn’t see the incentive or the value in MyTake.org.
- The pitch.
- The home/landing page (from a marketing perspective).
- We’ve built something that people don’t want.
- An active launch where we are hands-on with people using it, guiding them and getting feedback.
- Reddit style:
- The founders were doing all of the commenting for weeks to months, generating fake hubbub before real accounts joined.
- Lose the account creation process.
- Emphasize permalinks.
- As you engage with the site, the URL changes. This is a shareable URL and doesn’t require an account to create, share, or read. It is granular, down to document highlights and video clips.
- Header text saying what MyTake.org is.
- Fix confusion around the navigation.
- Gamify it:
- Users get “points” for taking certain actions, like sharing snippets or writing/sharing takes.
- Consider the education market. Kids studying political science for example. Reach out to school teachers to find a government or civics teacher.
- Reach out to Erik again.
Ned’s contributed $4,500 so far and has committed to $5,500 more this year for a total of $10,000. Todd averages 15-20 hours of development time per week. 20 hours per week at $30/hour is $2,400 per month, so the funds will last until May at this point.
y-combinator is still something we want to attempt. It would help with funding and finding a full time server developer. We would have a much better shot at getting accepted if we have a user base.
- Ned filled out 2017 tax form 990-PF. It is much more complicated than personal or standard business taxes, but it is done. Victoria and Dave will also look it over.
- Ned discovered a California tax form that he missed in 2017. We are eligible for a fine of up to $1000 because of this. Ned will call a hotline on Monday regarding this to explain how it was an honest mistake and that we’re rectifying it.
- The sample tax forms we’ve been following also missed this form. They were 3 years late, we are only 3 months late.